Ya know that verse about logs & specks? Well it's hit me hard lately.
Here's the ESV (Matthew 7:3-5):
"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You
hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will
see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."
Ick. Straight up truth right there.
This truth has been resonating with me lately in the issue of entitlement.
I always judge students and parents for acting as if they're entitled. It's something Joel and I have talked about since the very beginning of our relationship. While it's true that we've both known lots of students & their parents who act entitled and really make us mad, the sick part is that I act like I'm entitled all the time.
I want what I want. When I want it.
It's my turn. It's my dream. I've worked hard. I've prepared adequately. I've asked and asked and prayed and prayed. I should be getting what I want!
My feeling of entitlement is dangerous in so many contexts. It's sinful. It distances me from others. It creates in me a bitter, nasty heart. It makes me impatient and discontent with my blessings. Gross.
This verse seems to be calling us to humility and honesty. We need to repent of our sinfulness and lovingly help our brothers and sisters to address the sin in their lives. Together. Without judgement.
(image from here)

No comments:
Post a Comment