Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

a day in my life

Lately I've been thinking I want to document this season in our life. Even though it's stressful and awkward and uncertain, I hope some day to look back and remember vividly the way God worked. The things we learned. The joy we found. The way we figured it out. Joel and I, together.

So, I outlined what it looks like to be working three part-time jobs: before/after care, subbing, and teaching ESL. Paychecks are inconsistent, hours vary, and the settings are all quite unique.
For three weeks straight I didn't get called to sub at all. It was a frustrating time, including an entire week where the district was closed for hurricane Sandy and nobody worked. Then the next week I got specifically requested for a classroom, and last week I've gotten called twice. Out of the three days I'm available to sub.

Every morning we get up at 5:50. I'm out the door by 6:40, either dressed professionally or wearing my scrubbiest hoodie/jeans-combo that I'll change into running clothes later. If I'm subbing, I stay at morning care until 7:55, when I walk the middle schoolers to the auditorium and report to the office for my assignment. My subbing day looks totally different, depending on who I'm subbing for. Sometimes it's a 5th or 6th grade homeroom which means lots of students, lots of management, and two free periods. Other times it's for a instructional support or a specialist (music, etc.), which is a slightly easier day and involves supporting classroom teachers, working with small groups, and, unfortunately, lunch duty.

On the days I'm teaching ESL (Wednesday & Thursday), I stay at morning care until 8:40, then drive to Joel's school and teach/work with the students from 9 to 2. Then I drive back to the middle school for after care (3 to 6:30ish).

These days are soooooo different from my days the past two years. We eat dinner late. I make simpler meals & do a lot of prep work on the days I don't get called to sub. I have leisurely mornings on some days and super hectic mornings on others. Nothing like a phone call at 6:20 to speed up the getting-ready routine!

I'm trying to relish the fact that I only have to do two days worth of lesson plans. And that I rarely have to grade papers. Ha. I don't miss that.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love that you are working so hard to see that this is God's plan for you right now. I hate hate HATE inconsistency and lack of routine, and I really admire your patience, grace and flexibility. I pray often (for both of us, now) that one day we can look back on these times say, "Oh! That's why that happened!" and know that our faith has been proven.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...