So yesterday morning Joel ran the Philadelphia half-marathon. At 7am. Which meant arriving to his starting corral at 6am. And leaving at 5am. And getting up at 4am. After a restless night where he didn't sleep well and I woke up multiple times feeling anxious for him.
Afterwards we came home. Joel napped. I attempted baking & didn't get out of my pjs. Around 3pm he left to walk to church to help his friend set up for a concert. When he came home, Joel said, "So do you want to go to the concert at 6:30?"
I was surprised. I was wearing my PJs. He had just run over 13 miles and gotten about 2 hours of sleep. I was still wearing my PJs while attempting some unsuccessful Pinterest recipes. Ha.
Anyway, we went. With some cash in my wallet in case they took a love offering for the kids. And oh my gosh, my heart was broken. The children are totally precious. Their accents! Their white smiles. Those costumes. Those sweet sweet voices. And their dance moves!
The thing that shook me the most wasn't their sad stories, although those were wicked sad. Many are orphans or come from single-parent homes where money is really tight. They've come to live at the Watoto Children's home and have been sponsored by people around the world who help pay for their education, food, etc. etc. What shook me was their joy. Their pure excitement for life and for God. I was humbled and convicted. I don't sing like that. I don't live like that.
I asked Joel to buy me their CD for Christmas. Ha.

No comments:
Post a Comment