I mentioned a while back that we're trying a new system of keeping track of our money. I was really encouraged by a couple whose blog I read, as well as some of my friends who use a similar system (hi, Ash!).
It's taken almost a month to get this new budgeting thing off the ground. Here's why:
1. My computer AND our brand new external hard drive broke just before Labor Day! All the spreadsheets I'd started were saved in both of those places. Without them, I couldn't access our budget allocation or the place where we record spending. It was really frustrating, but now we're back in business with both electronics. So October will be a fresh start!
2. It's hard to delegate budget categories at places like Target & the grocery store. My receipt will include toiletries, cleaning products, food, school supplies, etc., all on one receipt. It would be a tedious process to separate all the items into their individual categories... so I don't do it. Laziness is a major roadblock to change!
3. The "groceries" category isn't enough to accommodate spontaneity! This week I'm going to make a meal for a family at our church because not enough meal makers signed up & I don't want the family to go hungry. I already used up my week's groceries budget, but then I got the supplies to make that extra meal. Additionally, we were invited to our new neighbors' football watching party on Sunday night & I can't show up empty-handed. SO, ingredients for peanut butter pie must be bought! Neither of these spontaneous purchases can really come out of another budget category, so I may need to add extra in our grocery column for things of this nature. We'll see how it goes in the weeks to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment