Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

On our two-year anniversary

For the longest time I couldn't understand when people would say, "I love my husband more today than on the day I married him."
 
That's crazy. On my wedding day I was hilariously, foolishly, unbelievably head-over-heels in love. I was completely nuts about Joel and couldn't wait another second to be his wife. It was hard for me to imagine loving him more. I knew he was the man God had brought into my life and I knew I didn't want anyone else.

But, as is often true, I learned how little I understood. I learned that my scope on November 20, two years ago, was quite small. My heart had so much room to grow. I had a lot of love to develop and a lot to learn.
 
This last year of marriage has been so sweet. Bitter, yes, because of the pain, fear, and loss we've experienced together. But 150% sweet, too.

This last year I've cried a lot and Joel has learned to comfort me kindly and with patience. We have mis-communicated a few times this year and Joel has spoken softly and clearly. We've had adventures all over the country and the world (Ireland, Washington, Maine, Michigan, Rhode Island, Ohio!) and Joel has figured out how neurotic and silly I can be. We've spent many hours in the car, chatting about our dreams. Joel has repeated the same things over and over until I believe them to be true. You are wonderful. God has a plan. I love you. We are in this together. You are a great teacher. I think you are beautiful. We have great friends & a wonderful family. God loves you. I love you. You are good with kids. You are a kind friend. God will provide.

This last year Joel has remained calm in the midst of my unnecessary freak-outs. He has watched 20+ episodes of Parenthood with me. He has analyzed and re-analyzed the things I just couldn't come to terms with. He has prayed for me. He has held me. He has teased me when I was taking myself too seriously. He has loved my family and he has taught me how to be a more selfless daughter and sister. He has worked some long long long days and has come home with a hug, smile, and a listening ear.

Thanks, Joel, for choosing me, and for loving me unbelievably well. I'm crazy for you.
 P.S. I wrote about our 1-year anniversary here.

1 comment:

Andy and Lyndsay said...

This.is. beautiful!!!
You are one amazing couple!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...