I thought back to my single days and how carefully I tracked my spending. What was different then? I wondered. Then it hit me: I wrote my expenses down by hand and had things separated into spending columns. That worked.Why not try it again?
So, I found an old binder, bought some notebook paper, and sorted out our spending into 8 basic categories: Housing, giving, savings, utilities, food & supplies, gifts, cars, and fun.
On the first day of February, we'd both just gotten paid, so I started fresh and wrote down amounts from our paychecks into each category. Since then I've been recording every thing we spend and putting it on the appropriate page (category).
I'm pretty stoked about this new method. Hope it sticks for the long term!

2 comments:
I'm really curious to know more about this! How did you decide what to budget for each column? What does Joel think? Is it working so far? What do you do when you are "in the red"?
...clearly I've never done something like this! I was just always pretty good at figuring stuff in my head, but with two incomes and two people spending, it's a lot harder.
Bec,
I have a few other posts labeled "money" which could answer your questions, but Words Of Williams is my favorite blog for budgeting advice. Check them out!
Post a Comment