Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

meals ministry

Our church uses this awesome site to coordinate meals for families with new babies, deaths, illnesses, moves, etc. I'm one of many people who make meals every once in a while for those in need. Last year, with a full-time classroom teaching job, I didn't make very many meals. This year, however, with my flexible schedule, I've been able to make a lot more.

Almost all the meals I've made are for people who just had a baby. I've gotten to meet a lot of people in our rather large church who I never knew. It's been an sweet opportunity to connect with them, show interest in their lives, see what we might have in common, and love on any other kids they might have. And, let's be honest, it's therapeutic to get some baby snuggles whenever they'll share their newborn with me :)

A couple times I've struggled with the effort, though. I get disappointed because so few of them pursue friendship with me later. Some don't remember my name. Some don't answer the door so I have to leave food on the porch. Some never say "thanks" or acknowledge the meeting. None of these are reasons I would be involved in the ministry, but I'm sinful and those selfish thoughts do enter my mind.

The thing I come away with is this: God has given me good, good gifts. He doesn't always get thanked and he never gets anything in return. Yet he continues to give to me, to provide for my needs, over and over and over. He blesses me and he cares for me. Because he loves me. Bringing meals to families is a microscopic opportunity to love like that.

(image here)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...