Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

on track & cross-country: how God changed my heart

As a newlywed, I was soooo bitter toward the seasons where Joel coached. I was frequently angry at track, annoyed at cross-country, frustrated with late parents, and just plain grouchy toward it all.

My responses were all totally selfish: I wanted Joel home when I wanted him home. I didn't like sharing him with the other coaches and kids. I thought parents should get there exactly at 5pm so Joel could leave immediately to come home and hang out with me. I didn't want my dinner getting cold. Nasty stuff, y'all.

This year, with the loss of my full-time teaching job and the beginning of after-school care, my schedule changed. And through it, God changed my heart toward track & cross.

Now that I get home at 6:45 pm, Joel is almost always there first. He can shower and relax before I arrive. We can chat in the kitchen while I cook dinner. He helps me clean up, then does whatever work he has for school. This schedule has proven to be so peaceful... I'm not sitting at home, all angst-y. I'm working, he's working, then we're together.

Plus, my eyes have been opened to the many joys of this whole coaching gig... The extra money from coaching allows us to save more each year. Joel is an amazing coach and has the opportunity to connect with kids outside of school. Joel loves being active and running is fun for him. These are all good things.

Through a change in schedule I didn't ask for and certainly didn't welcome, God has changed me and molded me for the better. I'm less selfish about the ways track & cross might inconvenience me and I'm more excited about the ways Joel's coaching jobs impact others in a big way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...